BADMINTON FEDERATION FINES CHINA FOR CANCELLING TOURNAMENT
by Mike Grossman (from a report filed by YANG YANG Badminton Equipment)
December 17, 1996 (New Shuttlenws) - Sources close to the International
Badminton Federation disclosed today that the Chinese badminton association
has been assessed a US10,000 dollar fine for cancelling an invitational
tournament called the China Masters. The same sources said that the Chinese
association was very dismayed at the penalty.
The tournament was slated to be held this week in the city of Guangzhou and
was supposed to feature some of the world's top players including Poul-Erik
Hoyer-Larsen of Denmark, Mia Audina of Indonesia as well as a bevy of top
The China Masters was being organized by a sports promotion company based
in Hong Kong and was to have a purse of US100,000 dollars. The promoters
were said to have had trouble lining up sponsors for the event.
The penalty was reportedly imposed because the cancellation was made quite
late and also because the cancellation put the badminton federation in a bad
light. As well, top players and officials, some of whom had already made the
trip to Asia or were in transit, were severely inconvenienced.
The same sources also said that the China Masters cancellation was in the
back of the minds of the IBF decisionmakers when the 1998 Thomas and Uber
Cups finals were moved to Hong Kong from Shanghai, reportedly due to the
desires of the prospective sponsors.
The sports promotion company that is involved in the China Masters fiasco
is the same organization that is now embroiled in a dispute with the National
Basketball Association over the use of the initials "NBA" in a Chinese
professional basketball league called "CNBA" or the Chinese National Basketball
Association. These promoters are also facing legal action over non-payment of
salaries from some of the American players that they had brought over to play
in the Chinese league.
COPYRIGHT 1996 NEW SHUTTLENWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.