1999 CALIFORNIA STATE H.S. ALL-STAR BADMINTON TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS
GUIDELINES & RULES
1999 Tournament Dates & Starting Times
Friday, July 16, 1998 WARM UP 10:30 AM MATCH 11:30 AM
Sunday, July 18, 1998 WARM UP 10:00 AM MATCH 11:00 AM
Saturday - no play All-Stars, CAL State Games events only
VENUE & INCLUSION IN CAL STATE GAMES (CSG)
Due to the last minute change of host region and timing of other junior
tournaments, it was agreed to include this year's California H.S.
All-Stars Championships as an ad-hoc team event in CAL STATE GAMES '99.
Each coach and athlete participating in the '99 California HS All-Stars
will need to enter the '99 Cal State Games. Either using entry booklet
individual form OR the website http://www.calstategames.org
Each athlete and coach should enter one event using event code 'BAD-999'
and submit form to CSG
Gym is San Diego's NEW Activity Center, Balboa Park. There are 15
courts, six of which will be available for the All-Star Championships.
Directions and parking info will be published at the
http://www.calstategames.org website in the next badminton tournament
update. (Sometime in June). Hotel recommendation will be made in June.
Possibility of hotel shuttle to/from gym if all teams book there.
TEAM SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
1. EACH REGION'S TEAM CONSISTS OF:
6 girls + 1 female alternate
6 boys + 1 male alternate
1 head coach + no more than 1 assistant coach
2. ALL PLAYERS MUST BE GRADUATING SENIOR
3. NO UNDERCLASSMEN PARTICIPATE IN COMPETITION
4. ALL ATHLETES MUST BE CALIFORNIA STATE RESIDENT. Note that a student
who transfers from a school outside California (to be referred to as
School A) to a school in CA (School B, without a change of residence on
the part of his/her parents, legal guardians or caregiver with whom the
student was living when the student established residential eligibility
from School A to School B, is residentially INELIGIBLE for the CA State
H.S. All-Star championships.
5. COACHES ARE TO BE SELECTED FROM REGION'S CURRENT YOUTH PROGRAMS
6. TEAM ENTRY DUE 9AM, WED JUNE 30, 1999
7. INDIVIDUAL CSG ENTRY (REQUIRED FOR EACH ATHLETE/COACH) DUE JULY 3,
8. PLAYERS MAY PLAY NO MORE THAN TWO EVENTS - 2ND EVENT MUST BE MIXED
1. CO-ED TEAMS
2. CONSOLATION (3/4 PLAYOFF) TOURNAMENT
3. COMPETITION EVENTS: SINGLES, DOUBLES, MIXED DOUBLES
4. EACH REGION PLAYS ONE TEAM MATCH ON Friday, July 16th.
5. FINALS AND 3/4 PLAYOFF WILL BE PLAYED ON Sunday, July 18th.
6. EACH TEAM MATCH CONSISTS OF 19 INDIVIDUAL MATCHES.
TEAM COMPOSITION & FORMAT
1. 1ST & 2ND GIRLS' SINGLES (round robin)
2. 1ST & 2ND BOYS' SINGLES (round robin)
3. 1ST & 2ND GIRLS' DOUBLES (round robin)
4. 1ST & 2ND BOYS' DOUBLES (round robin)
5. 1ST, 2ND & 3RD MIXED DOUBLES (straight across)
6. NO ATHLETE SHALL PLAY 3 EVENTS - MAX : 2 EVENTS & 2ND MUST BE MIXED
ORDER OF PLAY (IF BOTH COACHES AGREE):
MXD 1 VS. MXD 1
MXD 2 VS. MXD 2
MXD 3 VS. MXD 3
GS 1 VS. GS 1
GS 2 VS. GS 2
BS 1 VS. BS 1
BS 2 VS. BS 2
GS 1 VS. GS 2
GS 2 VS. GS 1
BS 1 VS. BS 2
BS 2 VS. BS 1
GD 1 VS. GD 1
GD 2 VS. GD 2
BD 1 VS. BD 1
BD 2 VS. BD 2
GD 1 VS. GD 2
GD 2 VS. GD 1
BD 1 VS. BD2
BD 2 VS. BD1
TEAM ENTRY (REQUIRED)
1. Each team's entry information is to be compiled and sent to SUNNY
KIM either via FAX at 760.633.1996 OR e-mailed "firstname.lastname@example.org" BY
9AM, WED JUNE 30, 1999
2. Team entry includes roster of 12 - 14 athletes, head coach &assistant
coach with the following information: a) LAST & FIRST NAME, b)
AGE, c) M/F, d) HIGH SCHOOL, e) EVENT(S) ENTERED, f) RANKING, and g)
CAL STATE GAMES EVENT (such as `BAD-015' (Mixed Doubles) they wish to
play on Saturday. If tournament rating/skill level is known (A, B, C, or
D) , please list -- otherwise all high school all-stars will be assumed
as 'C' skill level in Cal State Games.
3. Rank all singles and doubles 1-2. Please list all doubles/mixed
combinations by ability.
4. Order of ranking and combinations may not be changed during the
CSG INDIVIDUAL ENTRY (REQUIRED FOR ATHLETES & COACHES)
1. Each coach and athlete must submit an official California State Games
entry with One Event: Code "BAD-999" and $15 fee by July 3, 1999
2. If you did not receive a copy of the form in mail, the official
Individual Entry Form can be found at http://www.calstategames.org
3. Only enter the one event (BAD-999) on the CSG Entry Form.
If playing free CSG event on Saturday, please note it on the TEAM Entry
and NOT on CSG form. If you list it on the CSG Form, you will be charged
$10 for additional events.
4. Please list your rating, if known, on the CSG Individual Entry Form
Under Badminton Rating (A, B, C, or D) Most California H.S. All-Stars
are at the 'B' or 'C' open/adult tournament skill level.
5. NO REFUNDS CAN BE GIVEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - CSG requires $15
for benefits of CSG T-shirt, Opening Ceremonies/Parade of Athletes,
access to medical trainers, use of paid officials. One free event (Sat).
All funds flow thru Cal State Games office, a non-profit group.
1. WILL BE HELD AT RANDOM ON 10:30AM, FRIDAY, JULY 16
2. NO TEAMS WILL BE SEEDED
3. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (SOUTHERN SECTIONS DIVISIONS 1 & 2) TEAMS WILL
BE PLACED ON OPPOSITE HALVES OF THE DRAW
ALL-STARS COMPETITION: Yonex Mavis 300 Yellow MIDDLE Speed (nylon/cork)
TEAM MEETING ONE HOUR PRIOR TO START OF MATCH, TEAMS WILL MEET WITH
TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR, UMPIRE & COACHES. STARTING LINE-UPS ARE TO BE
EXCHANGED AND PRESENTED TO TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR & OPPONENT
UMPIRE WILL REVIEW COMPETITION RULES
SUBSTITUTION & INJURY/EQUIPMENT TIME OUT
1. SUBSTITUTE (ALTERNATE) PLAYER MAY BE USED IF AN INJURY OCCURS DURING
WARM-UP. NO SUBSTITUTIONS MAY BE MADE ONCE MATCH BEGINS
2. INJURY TIME OUT: PLAY MAY BE SUSPENDED FOR ONE 10 MINUTE PERIOD
DURING A MATCH. A SECOND INJURY TIME OUT DURING SAME MATCH WILL RESULT
IN AN IMMEDIATE DEFAULT
3. UNIFORM TIME OUT: NOT TO EXCEED 5 MINUTES
MATCH & GAME SCORING
1. EACH MATCH CONSISTS OF BEST OR 3 REGULATION GAMES
2. ONE MINUTE COACHING TIME-OUT IS ALLOWED ON COURT BETWEEN 1ST & 2ND
GAME. ONLY ONE COACH MAY COACH PLAYER/TEAM AT A TIME ON COURT. UMPIRES
3. FIVE-MINUTE OFF-COURT COACHING MAY OCCUR WHEN TEAMS SPLIT FIRST TWO
4. EACH MATCH WON OR DEFAULTED COUNTS AS ONE TEAM POINT
5. 19 MATCHES COMPLETE THE TEAM MATCH. FIRST TEAM TO WIN 10 TEAM POINTS
IS THE WINNER OF THE MATCH
6. ALL MATCHES ARE TO BE PLAYED EVEN IF A TEAM REACHES 10 POINTS BEFORE
TEAM MATCH IS FINISHED
REST TIME BETWEEN MATCHES
1. IF A PLAYER HAS TO PLAY BACK-TO BACK MATCHES, OTHER MATCHES MAY BE
CALLED OUT OF ORDER TO SPEED UP MATCH PLAY
2. A 15 MINUTE REST-TIME WILL BE GRANTED TO PLAYERS PLAYING BACK TO
BACK MATCHES. PLAYERS REQUIRING MORE THAN 15 MINUTES REST MAY BE